I don't know if any of you are aware of my long time friend Dr. Prannie Rhatigan, afar in County Sligo, Ireland. A medical doctor with a passion and deep knowledge of seaweed and nutrition, and author of the esteemed My Irish Seaweed Kitchen.
I got the privilege to know Prannie through an international seaweed research conference back in 2009. The conference was in Ireland, and so afterwards I got to stay on with Prannie and experience the beauty of the Irish coastline and the prolific seaweed of the northern hemisphere.
Prannie lives in a beautiful historic stone house on the mystical Irish shores, and her partner is a lobster fisherman - so my memories of my time there were seaweed smoothies with garden herbs for breakfast and lobster by night. With the occasional traditional seaweed bath in between.
The aromas of northern hemisphere seaweeds and European traditions are quite different to what many of us are familiar with in Asian cuisine, so there is a different experience to be had. Prannie has an extensive knowledge of the history of use of seaweeds, and she has extended that to new cuisine.
Now Prannie has taken her much loved Irish Seaweed Kitchen to the Christmas table in her new book. I can share a Christmas version of my favorite seaweed smoothie that Prannie has made below, but I am also sharing two copies of her magic seaweed Christmas book to the first (and best) two posts of a Christmas inspired recipe on their facebook page using one of our seaweed pantry goods. Upload your creations in facebook or Instagram this week and tag us so we can ship out the book. We will send a copy to our two favorite creations. If you miss out you can buy it directly from Prannie!
Here is Prannie's RED RESOLUTION!
- 150g fresh beetroot roughly chopped
- 2-3 beet top leaves
- 1 large very ripe pear (220g)
- 10g *Wild Irish Seaweed blend (see Prannie's website to purchase or blend something along the lines of 3.5g Nori, 3.5g Dulse (Palmaria palmata), 1.75g Wakame, 1.75g Knotted wrack)
- 5g raw cacao powder
- 1 small celery stick roughly chopped
- 5g knob of ginger
- 200ml icy cold water
HOW TO MAKE
- Place all ingredients into a smoothie blender and liquidize all ingredients
- Strain into shot 12 glasses for a party, or fill a few breakfast glasses
- Serve immediately or chill until ready to serve within 24hrs
- Sprinkle with a few *Wild Irish Seaweed Flakes
Cheers to an inspired 2023!