This recipe was inspired by the questions I receive about what is meant by nutrient density.
You can read about why our seaweed PhycoGreen is a very nutrient dense food in our blog. Put simply, the energy and fibre content of potatoes has been essential in keeping human civilisations alive, and some important vitamins like Vitamin C and potassium have prevented scurvy and balanced our salt intake. But just eating potatoes on their own is a low nutrient density meal.
Just by adding Phukka or PhycoSalt which make it taste great, on top of some healthy oil sources and calcium, you are adding a multitude of micronutrients that are essential for our health.
A baked potato in it's skin has more Vitamin C than peeled and boiled forms, making a well rounded nutrient complete meal that supports the micronutrient absorption from the complete recipe formulation.... Get a dense potato in your diet now and then.
INGREDIENTS (for 2):
- 2 med-large potatoes in their gently washed skin
- 1 tsp of olive oil (for good mono-unsaturated oils and anti-oxidants)
- half an avocado (good oils and vitamins and mix in chives for improved mineral absorption from Phukka)
- Parmesan style cheese of your choice (for calcium and more for gut and bone health)
- PhycoSalt to taste (daily iodine requirements)
- 2 heaped teaspoons Phukka (super mineral density, 20% protein, anti-oxidants, gut healthy fibre)
- Real sour cream (probiotics, complementary fats for absorption)
HOW TO MAKE:
- pierce potatoes with a fork gently to prevent bursting
- Wrap in foil to seal in moisture and heat OR if you prefer to bake your potatoes without foil (this makes the skins more crispy too) then rub a coat of olive or vegetable oil on the potatoes pop onto a baking tray
- bake in 220°C or fire coals for app. 45mins (pre-heat in microwave for a faster baking time). Bake a little longer (approx. 45-60mins) for potatoes without foil
- smash half an avocado with PhycoSalt to taste (add some chives or onions of your choice (optional))
- Cut open the potatoes in a cross shape and drizzle in some olive oil, a teaspoon of parmesan cheese in each, and half of the smashed avocado blend.
- Top with lashings of Phukka, and a small dollop of sour cream.
Dig in to delicious density for health.